the other day I came across James Scott Bells' 10 Commandments for Writers and I just have to share them with you. Bells has written several craft books and they are fantastic.
1. Thou Shalt write a certain number or words every week.
2. Thou Shalt write passionate first drafts
3. Thou Shalt make trouble for thy Lead
4. Thou Shalt put a stronger opposing force in the Lead's way
5. Thou Shalt get thy story running from the first paragraph
6. Thou Shalt create surprises
7.Thou Shalt make everything contribute to the story
8. Thou Shalt cut out all the dull parts
9. Thou Shalt develop Rhino skin
10. Thou Shalt never stop learning, growing and writing
for the rest of thy life.
pretty cool, huh? He has a clip on youtube where he talks about the 1st commandment, why he changed from daily writing goals to weekly, and it makes sense. I think I'm going to give it a try.